- Would it be accurate to say that the central conflict in your life is your son?
- The Security Council is the central forum for international conflict management.
- This is the case at the continental level with the central Mechanism for Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution.
- In this context the Organization of African Unity (OAU), through its central organ for conflict prevention, management and resolution, has been active in mediating conflicts as well as in serving as an early-warning mechanism on potential conflicts.
- It is therefore natural that the Security Council act closely with the Economic and Social Council, pursuant to Article 65 of the Charter, to implement central integrated strategies for conflict prevention or post-conflict peace-building after conflicts have ended.
- This early diagnosis led the Organization of African Unity, meeting at the summit level in 1993, to establish a central organ for conflict prevention, management and resolution, which has made a great contribution to promoting and spreading the culture of peace that Africans naturally cherish.
- This leads me to my last point today: what can be done over the long term to secure stability? One central source of conflict is hopelessness, or the feeling or being excluded from growing prosperity and from the benefits of globalization, and of being overwhelmed by a process that one cannot influence.